03 March 2005
Senator Boxer is seeking my view on Social Security...
...or not. I just received (ok, I received it two days ago but couldn't bring myself to read it) one of the most ridiculous e-mails yet from Senator Barbara Boxer. Under a subject of "Senator Boxer Seeks Views on Social Security" we find this quaint little missive:


Dear Friend:
This year, Congress will take up a debate that will determine the future of Social Security. In its 70th year, Social Security is one of the most successful federal programs, providing a secure retirement for countless seniors and other benefits to widows, children, and individuals with disablities.

I recently delivered a major speech on Social Security and the current attempts to "reform" it. I am inviting you to read my speech, which outlines my position, and join me in the fight to keep Social Security an insurance program that provides real security for Americans.

You will find my speech and an accompanying petition that you my [sic] sign at http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/petition.cfm
This is one of the most important matters facing our nation, and powerful interests will join the battle. I hope I can depend on your support as I work to protect Social Security and the millions who count on it for their financial security now and in the future.
Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States
Senator

At the very least the e-mail subject is a lie, I wonder if it even qualifies as "misleading" under California and Federal spam laws. What a great attempt to solicit my views on the subject. "You will read my opinion and then sign the petition. I will make no attempt at actually being inclusive or really soliciting your opinion. If you disagree with me, tough." Nice politics of inclusion there Senator. Shall we strew flowers in your path and have those that disagree with you imprisoned next? Or shall they just be shipped to Siberia?

I decided to at least make a better attempt than than the Senator did and view her opinions on the subject (as if they weren't blatantly apparent from the totalitarian "petition") however I couldn't get any farther than the following:

In order to convince the American people of the urgency to privatize Social
Security, the president has used words such as "crisis," "bankruptcy," and
"collapse." Let's look at the definition of these three words, according to
the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary.

crisis: "a situation that has reached a critical phase."
bankruptcy: "utter failure or impoverishment."
collapse: "to break down completely."


Is it true that Social Security is in crisis? Is bankrupt? Is collapsing?

The answer is a resounding NO. According to the most conservative estimates, Social Security will be able to pay full benefits for 38 years. In other words, a 37-year-old worker today will get full benefits until he or she is 75 years old if we do nothing to make adjustments to the Trust Fund. A 47-year old worker today will get full benefits until he or she is 85 years old if nothing is done.



Woah there Senator. Where, exactly, did the President say that Social Security was currently bankrupt or currently collapsed? He didn't now did he? He has said that the system is nearing collapse and heading towards bankruptcy. The second half of your statement, Senator, is exactly what the President is talking about. By your own admission you show that the system is headed for failure for younger workers and young people in general. The President has stated very clearly that "...Social Security is sound for today’s seniors and for those nearing retirement, but it needs to be fixed for younger workers – our children and grandchildren." Personally I see this as a crisis. It's too bad that your vision is so short-sighted as to only care about those who are currently nearing retirement. You and the Baby Boomer generations "me first" attitude is seeking to only sustain their own bellies even with all the tripe and hand-wringing and moans of "what about the children?!?"

Disgusting.
A Republican in San Francisco (Yes, he's under deep cover) relays his tales of interest... ...ok, "interest" is a strong and subjective word but you get the point.
My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I shall know but one country. The ends I aim at shall be my country's, my God's and Truth's. I was born an American; I live an American; and I shall die an American. -Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

ARCHIVES
September 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / April 2007 / May 2007 /

Powered by Blogger